Hall of Memory at night

pictures, photos, facts and information on Hall of Memory at night (Birmingham)


Hall of Memory at night ( 640x480 )
Place this picture into your website!
View the picture in these resolutions: 640x480 | 800x600 | 1024x768 | 1280x960
Hall of Memory stands in front of the Baskerville House in Centenary Square in Birmingham.
It was erected in 1920s to commemorate 12,320 Birmingham citizens who died and the 35,000 who were wounded in the First World War. It is a Grade II listed building.

The Hall was designed by S. N. Cooke and W. N. Twist and built by John Barnslye and Son. It was made of Portland Stone in 1923 – 1925. The foundation stone was laid by The Prince of Wales on 12 June 1923 and it was opened on 4 July 1925 by Prince Arthur of Connaught. The cost of the construction was £60,000, which was raised by public subscription.

Around the exterior there are four larger than life bronze statues. They were made by the local artist Albert Toft and they represent the Army, Navy, Air Force and Women’s Services. Interior is also decorated. Three carved bas-relief plaques were made by William Bloye, local artist as well. They represent three tableaux: Call (departure to war), Front Line (fighting) and Return (arrival home of the wounded). Directly opposite the main entrance, there is a stained-glass window designed by R. J. Stubington.

Further memorials were added after the Second World War, and for subsequent campaigns, including Korea, Vietnam and the Falklands. Inside, behind the huge bronze door, there is a marble dais in the centre of the marble floor. On top of the shrine rests a glass and bronze casket containing two books: the First World War and Second World War Roll of Honour. Across the hall is a third Roll of Honour containing the names of Birmingham citizens who have died in campaigns since the end of the Second World War.

The Hall of Memory is open to the public every Mon - Sat (except for Christmas Day), from 10 am to 4pm.
Search earthinpictures.com site