Pittencrieff Park, area for children

pictures, photos, facts and information on Pittencrieff Park, area for children (Dunfermline)

Pittencrieff Park, area for children ( 640x480 )
Pittencrieff Park is the major park in Dunfermline. By the locals it is commonly known as “The Glen”. It covers the area of 76 acres and this area is divided to grass areas, landscaping, statues, ponds, rockeries, nature walks, dog exercise area, play areas and historic areas. It was given in trust by Andrew Carnegie to the people of his birthplace.

The glen is an area of topographical and historical significance to Dunfermline as the original site of Malcolm's Tower, the probable remains of which can be identified today on a strongly defendable outcrop of rock.

The area was formerly the estate and grounds of the house of Lairds of Pittencrief. It was bought by Andrew Carnegie in 1902. Dunfermline Carnegie Trust invited proposals for the development of the area as a civic space. Two entries were submitted, one by Patrick Geddes, the second one by Thomas Mawson. Although neither scheme was adopted, both influenced subsequent work on the establishment of the park as it exists today.
There are several entrances to the park. The most used is located at the bottom of Dunfermline High Street and it is known as Louise Carnegie Gates (Louise was Andrew’s wife). It was first erected in 1929 and refurbished in 2000. Other entrances are from Pittencrieff Street, Nethertown Broad Street, St Catherine’s Wynd as well as Moodie Street and St Margaret’s Street both of which lead to the scenic walk along the Tower Burn in the lowest part of the Park.

On the northern boundary of the park lies the prominent statue of Andrew Carnegie which was built in 1914 and a dovecot, in the style of a round tower from around 1700.
There are several feathers in the park. The Glen Pavilion that is suitable for weddings, seminars or gatherings of different types; consisting of the main hall with a capacity of 600, a function suite with views of the Park, a spacious decorative foyer with a fountain, a restaurant style bar and adjoining sun terrace.
Pittencrieff House Museum was built in 1610 and heightened in 1731. It was a home for nearly 300 years until Andrew Carnegie bought the grounds. Now it houses an exhibition called "Magic of the Glen" on the ground floor. It tells the story how the park came to be.

The Formal Gardens with spectacular views of the Abbey and Palace is the peaceful colourful garden. It is completed by a Glass Hall conservatory built in 1973. It shows the visitors the exotic plants from many different countries. There is also a Lily pond with a goldfish in the park. Besides these, there are three play areas within Pittencrieff Park. They are equipped with chutes, swings, climbing frames and roundabouts. All have safety surfacing.

Pittencrieff Park plays host to many events throughout the year, very popular with people of all ages.
Search earthinpictures.com site