City Chambers

pictures, photos, facts and information on City Chambers (Glasgow)


City Chambers ( 640x480 )
Place this picture into your website!
View the picture in these resolutions: 640x480 | 800x600 | 1024x768 | 1280x960
Glasgow City Chambers are located in the George Square. It has functioned as the seat of the city’s government since 1889, as headquarters of Glasgow City Council since 1996.

The building was constructed between 1882 and 1888. The architect became William Young and he designed it in Victorian style. The building was officially opened in August 1888 by Queen Victoria. In 1923 the building was extended to the east and in 1984 Exchange House in George Street was added. The original size of the City Chanbers (5,016 square metres) was nearly tripled to present 14,000.

The building is an interpretation of Renaissance Classicism incorporating Italianate styles with a vast range of ornate decoration, used to express the wealth of Glasgow, as the second city of the Empire. The exterior statues were made by James Alexander Ewing. The centerpiece of the façade is the pediment celebrated Queen Victoria's Golden Jubilee. It depicts Victoria enthroned, surrounded by emblematic figures of Scotland, England, Ireland and Wales, alongside the colonies of the British Empire. Other sculptures here are apex statues of the Truth, Riches and Honour and the statues of Four Seasons on the Chamber’s Tower.

The building has four floors. The first floor is taken up by offices which are not available to the public. The entrance hall of the Chambers displays a mosaic of the city's coat of arms on the floor. There is a tapestry hanging in the hall which is intended to represent Glasgow's past and present. Pillars of marble and granite give way to staircases of Carrera marble, freestone, and alabaster, and a ceiling decorated in gold leaf is topped by a stained glass dome. One of the most impressive rooms is Council Chamber (where the council meets). It features rich Spanish mahogany paneling and 79 councillors’ seats in hemicycle, all facing Lord Provost, his Depute and the Chief Executive seated behind the mace. The grandest room in the Chambers is the Banqueting Hall, which has witnessed many different types of events.
Search earthinpictures.com site