Oxford Town Hall

pictures, photos, facts and information on Oxford Town Hall (Oxford)


Oxford Town Hall ( 640x480 )
Place this picture into your website!
View the picture in these resolutions: 640x480 | 800x600 | 1024x768 | 1280x960
The Oxford Town Hall is located in the city centre on St Aldate's. It is place where local government meets. The building also houses the Museum of Oxford. It is often hired for venues such as concerts, conferences, job fairs, public meetings, birthday receptions, society balls, dinner dances trade fairs and weddings.

The meetings have taken place here since 1292 when the first Guild Hall was built on this site. It was replaced by the Town Hall, classical building designed by Isaac Ware, in 1752.

The competition for the new Town Hall started in 1891 and in June 1892 the design of Henry Thomas Hare was selected. The foundation stone was laid on 6 July 1893. The original builder was John S. Chappel of Pimlico but he went bankrupt and he was replaced by a local firm, John Parnell & Son. The present Town Hall was opened by the Prince of Wales (later King Edward VII) in 1897, on 12 May.

The Town Hall also contained Oxford’s public library. Its lending part opened in December 1895 and the reference part in February 1896. In 1970s this space changed into Museum of Oxford. It covers the history of the City and University of Oxford. The displays include original artifacts, treasures from Oxford colleges and period room reconstructions, from prehistoric times onwards.
Search earthinpictures.com site